edit:Thursday, 25 October 2012
All AWE companies and users of AWECS
are encouraged to post openly all safety-critical knowledge.
E-mail is preferred.
- I will try to develop a kite control system at TU Delft, beginning
1st of July.  I might need four years, but I am optimistic, that we can
publish our results in an open source manner.
I have some safety-critical
knowledge in the field of the development of
real-time control systems, because I was working in the field of medical
device development for five years.
Online: Airship tether severs Cessna wing, killing three
- "ground using a narrow, unlit cable stretched tight by 2,400 pounds of
tensile force. On the night of the accident, the aerostat was deployed at the
end of 8,000 feet of cable"
- "The accident was caused by “the pilot’s failure to maintain clearance
from an active restricted area, which resulted in the airplane colliding with
the tether of an aerostat.” "
- Skysails near miss with airplane
Airplane almost hits ship kite
- May 3, 2007, 2.40 pm (Singapore time)
Kite caused Philippine helicopter crash
Blue Hill Observatory
[What was their experience?]
- Léon Philippe Teisserenc de Bort
- Budweiser-sponsored huge parafoil made by Harry Osborne, professor at
Edmonds Community College in 1982c
Harry Norman Osborne).
- Steve Gary Edeiken of
Venice, California at a Long Beach, Washington, kite effort: large
parafoil launch accident in 1983. Leg caught in tether
during launch operations.
One report. BOTH spellings
lead to information: Edeiken and Edeikin; search both spellings.
- Anapa, Russia on the Black Sea, kite-launch accident.
Helicopter incident. Lines are questioned.
Gliding kites with humans aboard: (paragliders of non-airframed sort):
- India kite festival lines cutting people every year. Many fatalities.
- Cody Diary:
- In 1902: "9 July Theatre Royal, North Shields. Cody had
accident. He had brought the kite down when...... ‘a sudden gust of wind gave
the machine extra strength and jerked the winch which controlled the wire
attached. Mr. Cody, who had hold of it, was dragged into the air, a portion
of the machine was smashed by the jerk and the drum, turning round at great
speed, jammed Mr. Cody’s right arm amongst the cog wheels. The wire then
snapped and Mr. Cody fell to the ground, a distance of a few feet.’ One of the
bones between the wrist and elbow was ‘shattered’ and Cody was taken to Dr.
- In 1905: "17 Feb At Crystal Palace. Lt. Holwell met with accident
during kite trial at Aldershot."
- Free-flight intended towing of hang gliders have had their share of
- Kite deaths
spark ban in Lahore
EMP, lightning, tethers, kill-lines, avionics, over-power,
- Choking hazard for small parts in kiddy-kite activites!
- Fast moving control kites have high momentum that can injury or kill.
Animals and humans are to be out of the field of kiting.
- Attached to all kiting products could be a safety brochure.
- Lines across highways and train tracks could cause accidents, collisions,
injury, or death.
- Line safety
- Winch safety