Flip Wing or Flipwing
for any application is studied from this folder.
- An integral
airfoil that has rapid change of angle of attack so as to cause a
rotation about a axis is flipping and thus a flip wing; the rotation may
be full and continuing or may be partial and reversing. Do not confuse
Savonius or Darrieus arrangements as flipwing as they are composites
of two or more airfoils with special interactions because of the
Distinguish "flip winging" from Magnus-effect cylinder dynamics and
from Darrieus arrangements. Distinguish "flip winging" from tossed
or flipped wings that are intended for gliding or kiting without
autorotation about lateral axis of the wing. For "flip-wing": the
axis of rotation is within the wing. Also, distinguish from Savonius
rotor which canonically is not a flipwing.
Note: Many texts confuse Magnus-effect devices for flip wings; however,
note that during flip winging there occurs a circulation air cylinder that
has a slight Magnus-effect dynamics respecting that air cylinder;
however, in flip winging, the dominant lifting occurs via
Research tips: In the literature explore Savonius, rotary-wings
(some are flip wings), miss-applied Magnus-effect studies, kite patents on
rotary wings, ribbon kite, ...
Sectors of flip
- Gliding flip wings
- Non-kiting free-flight gliding flip winging
- Gliding-kite flip winging.
- Non-gliding kiting flip wings.
- Wide-based ribbon-arch flip winging
- Single-line and one mooring
- Two-line with narrow-based mooring
- Stacked two-line with narrow-based mooring
- AWES involving flip wings.
- Savonius energy-producing flip winging
- Nature exhibits flip winging (flipping falling leaves, seed
parts post-bird destruction of seed, spider-silk-held leaf parts
that are specially locked to enable flip winging kiting, ..
- Small, large
- Low-mass, high-mass
- Segments with their own rotation rates
- Applications: entertainment, recreation, energy-production,
free-flight, powered flight, non-powered flight, visibility markers,
- Parachute experiments
- Space re-entry studies
- Text in hang gliding
- Toy kiting flip winging
- How to measure the rotational rate of a flipping wing?
- Transonic flip winging
- The very small flip wings
- Paper-play flip wings
- Confetti shapes (free-flight flip wings)
- Free-flight flip winging (AWES, glider, parachute, confetti, _____?)
- Artistic versions
- The physics of flip winging
- Mathematics useful for analysis of flip winging
- When main kiting tether is itself a flip-wing is to be studied for
its drag, induced drag, veering asset, etc.
- Left-veering flip-wing tethers and right-veering flip-wing tethers.
Uses of the veering asset? Kite system coterie construction.
Barrage kite systems using the veering asset.
- The liability of flip-winging of long streamlined tethers.
- AWES with flip-wing tethers where the rotation is mined by the
driving of electric generator or fluid pump or twisting works.
- The visual potentials of flip wings: reflection, rotation rate,
colors, health concerns on brain, visibility, night effects, day
effects, sun effects, material choices
- Flat versus various non-flat airfoils for flip wings
- The sounds of flip winging? Measuring the sounds. Rating a
device for its sounds. Assets and liabilities of the sounds of flip
Take flip-wing and bridle at the ends of its rotation axis; hang a
resistive mass via a tether set (one or more lines). Set this in fall
and have a horizontal-axis winged paraglider. (source)
Auxiliary lifter for flipwing arch for launching and for maintaining
Challenges of directions
Classification by aspect ratio?
Strength of materials
- Just how much of a flip wing rotation may be mined for other works?
- Intermittent mining of flip wing rotation.
- Stabilizing (disks, flywheel, gyroscopic dynamics)
- Lower ducting apron?
- Mass distribution in the flip wings
- Inflatable flip wings or parts thereof
- Ribbon sort of flipwing: (non-rigid flip wing of
long span and high aspect ratio)
- Anticipated video (no example yet) (Send in
your note for this section!)
- Arch of COTS Flip Kites
- Stack of high count of flip wing units
- Ground-driven fan-belt for driving flip-wing
- Flygen stack of flip wings
Patents regarding flip-wing (not
yet complete; help is invited for patents from all nations)
- Flip kite
flips in two ways: 1. From its packed format to use format is a
flipping. 2. The action of the kite is a flip wing dynamic.
tags: flipwing, flip-wing, flip wing, flip winging, rotary wing, axis of
rotation, reflex, wing rotor,
Shapes of the airfoils involved in flip wings
- Edge treatments
- Andrew Cations of Melbourne, Australia, and photos of Mr. Big
- Roy Mueller and his products on ribbon-arch flipwing of two widely
spread anchors of skybow type
- German larger size mentioned by DaveS?
- Jim Mallos
Bearings and swivels
Generators and pumps