This file is a service of Airborne Wind Energy Industry
for all the world's cleantech energy stakeholders.
Anonymous note sent to us in June 2010 for publication .
Note was entered in the form: http://energykitesystems.net/AWEaspects/index.html
What does the note advance? What is valid in the note?
Advantages of a Nonaxial wind turbine
• Operate at higher altitude
• Not exposed to storms
• Ground maintenance and safety
• Less vibration (100x)
• Low tech (metal or fabric)
• Much less expensive gear box (100x)
• Vast increase in the number of productive wind sites
• Low visual impact
• Short lead time installation
• For a wind of 12 mph the glider speed is 100 mph with a L/D of 8.
• For a 20 ft span, the lift is 4000 lb and thrust is about 400 lbs, giving an output of about 50 kW.
• The combined length of the Kevlar cable is 1/2 mile and for a strength of 10,000 lb, the weight of the cable would be approximately 300 lb.
• The many degrees of freedom opened by the design allow it to be built more economically.
AWE editor finds a link using nonaxial wind turbine phrase: