What is the lure or tease?
(not yet comprehensive)
- We like kites and kiting--and wonder if kite systems could be used
to generate electricity in a manner that would reduce world pollution of
air and land while advancing the quality of life of humans, plants, and
- The wind, because of boundary layer effects, is stronger higher up.
Ground-based wind turbines use a slower wind than kites lofted to
altitude. Upper winds: stronger, more persistent, smoother, more
predictable, and with more choices of altitudes as needed; these factors
increase capacity factor for working systems.
- Kite anchors may take much less ground structure than ground-based
energy generation plants.
- Water in motion invites use of underwater kites. Ocean and river
currents invite the "flying": of hydro kites.
- Wind occurs at all points of the earth's surface...over land and
- Wind may lift and drag air kites moored to water turbines that are
fixed or mobile. Move cargo by kite tug even while the tug turns water
turbines making electricity; arrive with charged giant batteries or
ultracapacitors; off-load cargo and the gained electricity. The wind and
water are there inviting humans to draw upon the huge renewable energy
- Regenerative braking teases kiting of gliders as kites and letting
the propellers turn to generate electricity.
- Earth is one environment to consider for kites. However, beyond
earth there may be applications for kite-generated electricity.
- Convergence of GPS, RC, micro-robotics, nanotech materials, smart
programming, and kite advances invite fresh reviews of ways to derive
electricity from winds and from kite systems in particular.
[ TOP ]